Friday, June 22, 2012

A Sunburn Remedy That Really Works.

We took the kids to the Bronx Zoo yesterday. Of course, I loaded the kids up with [Babyganics] sunblock several times throughout the day. there was an outfit change halfway through our trip and I must have overlooked that my [almost] 3 year old's shirt was cut different from the one she started with. Sure enough, she was complaining that her back hurt and when I looked at the spot she was scratching, there was a bright red half circle. Makining it disappear was the only option, in my eyes. Good thing I knew the perfect solution!

This remedy has worked wonders every time I've used it. Shower, if you need, to before doing this.

First, I soak a washcloth (or hand towel, depending on the surface area of the burn) in white distilled vinegar. Place the wet (but not dripping) washcloth on the sunburn. The longer you keep it there, the better. But, even a couple minutes will show results.

Put on a pot of tea water and prepare a mug with a regular tea bag (I used Lipton).

After cloth is off, let it air dry for about a half hour (more or less is fine). In this time, pour your cup of tea (no sugar or milk) & let the tea sit until room temperature.

When your tea is ready, dip the tea bag a few time then squeeze it out and put aside. Soak a washcloth in the tea (i used the same one from the vinegar to reach optimal results).

Same as with the 1st step, place the wet (but not dripping) cloth onto the sun burnt area. For severe burns, i'd sleep with this cloth on me. For mild burns, up to a half hour will do the trick.

DO NOT WASH any of these treatments off until the morning after.

You can use the tea bag as well as (or instead of) the washcloth to apply but, in my opinion, the washcloth covers more surface area and works just as well.

By the time you wake up, the redness and sting should be greatly improved, if not completely gone. I usually wake up feeling like I never had a sunburn to begin with.  :) I hope this helps and I would love to hear some feedback on results!

No comments:

Post a Comment